Tuesday 2 December 2014

The Autumn/Winter Nails

Carry on reading to find out about the top 5 nail colours I've been loving for Autumn/Winter!

We're starting with a typical autumn colour here - a purple toned berry shade. This is the type of colour I tend to reach for as soon as a chill creeps into the air. Potentially the most feminine colour in this post, I think this would look great for winter date nights. This particular polish has a thick formula which leaves a gel-like finish on the nails.

The Salon Pro nail varnishes are slightly more expensive (£4.49) compared to the standard 'I love lasting finish' polishes (£2.99), but with good reason. Due to the gel-like formula, these polishes aim to give up to 10 days chip resistance. While I wouldn't say they quite last up to 10 days (particularly on long nails) they do have good longevity.

Barry M - Nail Paint in Grey (293)
This polish is a standard steel grey that's cool toned and reminds me of typical English winter weather. This is probably the most masculine colour out of the five and thus I think it's best suited to edgy, street style type outfits. I'd likely reach for this for gigs or smaller, gritty clubs in Bristol.

I'm particularly drawn to Barry M's deeper shades as I think they have great colour pay-off and glide on well. The brush is long and thin which allows great precision, particularly good for darker colours.

This colour is described by Essie as a 'stone-cold fox grey' and I can see a definite purple running throughout the grey. I love this colour as I think it's quite unique and is the perfect mix of edgy and feminine. This is a colour that I'd reach for regardless of the event - it's not too dark or too girly, it's a good twist on typical winter colours.

This is the first Essie polish I've tried, it was given to me as a gift, and I'm really impressed. I was never sure if they were worth the price (£7.99) but I definitely think I'd purchase them now!

H&M Nail Polish in Purple
I wouldn't describe this as a purple like the name suggests, it's definitely more of a inky indigo. This ink colour looks really sophisticated on the nails and makes a nice change from typical berry/burgundy colours we usually see. I think this colour would suit a deep red dress for more grown up parties. 

I've never dared to wear blue on my nails before, I didn't think it would suit me. But I picked this out of my collection purely because I felt guilty that I'd never worn it. Once applied I really loved how this look on the nails, I genuinely couldn't stop looking at my hands!

Unfortunately I was gifted this by a friend a few Christmases ago and it's no longer in stock. However, there's comparable colour by Barry M in Indigo (312). 'Indigo' leans towards a blue whereas H&M obviously leans towards purple but otherwise they're pretty similar. I think the Barry M polish would actually be better consistency too! 

Radley Nail Varnish in Cardinal Red
Red is by far one of my all-time colours for the nails, I always think it looks so elegant. While I love bright pillarbox reds, I like to deeper it up for the colder months with a rich blue-toned or true red colour like this one.

I won't get your hopes up with this one - I'm almost certain this was a one-off gift with purchase from Radley. However, I included it for it's lovely colour and Rimmel have a similar shade called 'Venus' in their Salon Pro Range. It's darker than Cardinal Red but you can't fault that it's a stunning shade.


What are your favourite colours for Autumn and Winter?
Look out for my favourite Christmas party colours coming soon!

Hollie 

No comments:

Post a Comment